The word Hepatitis comes from the Ancient Greek word ‘hēpat’ meaning ‘liver’, and the Latin word ‘itis’ meaning ‘inflammation’. It is the injury in the liver with inflammation of the liver cells which is 100 times more infectious than HIV. Globally, around 250 million people are affected by hepatitis C and 300 million people are estimated to be Hepatitis B carriers.
Types of Hepatitis:
There are five main types of Hepatitis that are caused by a virus, A, B, C, D, and E in addition to types X and G. These are distinct diseases that affect the liver and have different Hepatitis symptoms and treatments.
1. Hepatitis A – Hepatitis A is spread through food or water infected with a virus called HAV (Hepatitis A Virus). Anal-oral contact during sex is also cited as a leading cause.
2. Hepatitis B – This is an STD (sexually transmitted disease) caused by a virus known as HBV (Hepatitis B Virus). It is spread by contact with infected blood, semen, and some other body fluids.
3. Hepatitis C – This type of Hepatitis is mostly spread through direct contact with the blood of a person who already is suffering from the ailment.
4. Hepatitis D – Caused by a virus known as HDV (Hepatitis D Virus), only a person who is already infected with hepatitis B can become infected with hepatitis D. It is spread through the contact with infected blood, unprotected sex, and perforation of the skin with infected needles.
5. Hepatitis E – Hepatitis E is spread through infected water that contains HEV (Hepatitis E Virus). The liver swells but, there is no long-term consequence. Infection can also spread through anal-oral sex.
6. Hepatitis X – Hepatitis X is hepatitis of an unknown virus.
7. Hepatitis G – Hepatitis caused by a virus termed as HGV (Hepatitis G Virus) is Hepatitis G. Usually there are no symptoms. When there are symptoms, they are very mild.
• Heaviness on the right side of the abdomen
• Loss of appetite
• Pale and greyish stools
There are also chances of not realising or spotting the disease during its initial stages. Sometimes there aren’t any symptoms too. In such cases, it is vital to get the right diagnosis. Make your visit to our healthcare centre today for expert guidance to stay fit and healthy. To schedule an appointment, please call +91 90 4333 6444.